Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Shopgirl Recs: La Michoacana Taqueria: A Review!






436 Highway 1 West (near Paul’s Discount)
Iowa City
319-341-TACO
Hours:  Tues-Sun 10-9 
Take-out available



I had always heard such great things about the taco truck, how delicious and authentic the tacos were etc. but I could never make it out there for some reason.  And it turns out I missed it.  The taco truck is no longer.   But it’s not really gone, it’s just been turned into a little restaurant near Paul’s Discount.  Hurray!  A couple of Sundays ago my family and I came out to La Michoacana Taqueria’s to give these tacos a try.

La Michoacana Taqueria translates basically to Michoacan taco restaurant.  Michoacan is a southern state in Mexico, often referred to as the “soul of Mexico”.  So it’s not far off to say the food served here is something like Mexican soul food.  And that’s exactly how I’d describe it.  The menu has expanded some since the taco truck days and is divided into several delicious categories;  tacos, burritos, quesadillas, tortas, tostadas, a small veggie section, nachos, a small kids menu and combination plates which include rice, beans, and tortillas.

 Since it was my first time, I had to have a taco and with the suggestion of the man at the counter I ordered 2 tacos asada (steak) just as they come, in a corn tortilla with cilantro, onion, and a lime on the side.   So simple but so good.   My husband ordered tacos al pastor (marinated pork), and the little one had a cheese quesadilla, which she ate all of (and she doesn’t eat just any quesadilla).  To drink I had a Jarritos mandarin soda, sweet and citrusy  and the perfect compliment to my tacos.  I have to say I feel a little silly having taken so long to come here.  This place is definitely kid friendly, affordable, and a great place to stop for a quick delicious Mexican meal.  They even have a meat market/ Mexican grocer next door where you can buy everything from meat to spices, produce, and Mexican candy and ice cream.  We’ve come here at least twice a week since our first meal and I haven’t been disappointed yet :-)

P.S.  I highly recommend the California burrito, not really authentic but it contains french fries which is a nice little treat.  Also the fajita burrito is good.  
And if you're coming for dinner on the weekend, it can get busy so be prepared for a little wait.

xoxo-Shopgirl Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment