1. "Going up the Country" by Canned Heat
"It reminds me of being young, free-spirited, and delightfully naive. I guess not much has changed."
2. "Them There Eyes" by Billie Holiday
"My springtime walking home in Iowa City song. And one of the few happy Billie Holiday tunes."
3. "Nothing in this World Can Stop Me Worrying About That Girl" by The Kinks
"Just a pretty Kinks song. Who hates the Kinks? Nobody, that is who."
4. "Eat Starch Mom" by Jefferson Airplane
"My style icon (Grace Slick, duh) is a bad ass, and this song displays it nicely, thank you."
5. "Long Time Gone" by Crosby, Stills, & Nash
"The song in the beginning of the Woodstock Doc I saw in my teen years. I have loved it ever since."
6. "Box #10" by Jim Croce
"A song for my Dad. We used to listen to Jim Croce on the drive to school and this super sad song was our fave. It was on a cassette tape, so we couldn't skip right to it. We just had to wait for it and I was excited every time."
7. "Dream a Little Dream of Me" by The Mamas & The Papas
"Just one of the prettiest, most heartfelt songs around."
8. "Bring it on Home to Me" by Sam Cooke
"Because Sam Cooke can do no wrong. SIGH."
9. "This Time Tomorrow" by The Kinks
"Another Kinks song. So wistful, it just sounds like saying goodbye."
10. "You Ain't Going Nowhere" by Bob Dylan
"A favorite from my lengthy Bob Dylan phase."
11. "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield
"This song has just been my absolute favorite since I was in the 3rd Grade. Thank you Oldies 93.3 KIOA out of Des Moines for shaping my tastes. Then they added oldies music and it started to suck."
12. "Plastic Fantastic Lover" by Jefferson Airplane
"Jefferson Airplane triggered my obsession with the 1960's. 'Somebody to Love' was the theme song used in the made-for-tv mini-series 'The 60's.' I was 10 and my mom let me stay up late on a Sunday night to watch it. I was never the same and have since been Grace Slick for multiple Halloweens."
13. "Days" by the Kinks
"Thanks for the Days Iowa City. Love you. Plus the Kinks are one of my favorite bands, so they are just going to be on here 3 times."
14. "Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell
"What can give you more closure than this song? Or does it? Can you ever completely leave Iowa City?"